QF® Ducting for Dust Collection / Ventilation for Coffee Roasters Large and Small
Coffee roasting is the process of heating coffee beans to produce a chemical change that prepares the beans for consumption. The process produces unwanted byproducts from both the beans themselves and from the natural gas combustion used in the heating process.
Coffee roasting typically consists of several steps requiring dust collection:
In the Roasting process, the bean is heated up to 260 degrees centigrade and changes from bright green to pale yellow as it dries and, finally, to increasingly darker shades of brown and possibly black, depending on the desired taste profile. During this process, dust and chaff from the skin of the bean, steam, CO2, vaporized oils and various other gaseous emissions from the roasting process are produced and must be vented.
At the end of the roast, in the Cooling process, the beans are stirred and blasted with chilled air. Dust extraction at this step is used to remove the chaff and any other particulates. The batch is sometimes misted with water to hasten cooling. This process carries away smoke and odor and possibly steam and must also be vented.
Finally, in the Destoning process, any wastes not previously removed are separated from the coffee beans. The primary pollutant that must be collected from this process is any remaining chaff.
From large factories to small retail establishments, coffee producers around the country are requesting Nordfab’s QF® ducting for installation into their dust collection / ventilation systems at all phases of the roasting process. The ease of disassembly and re-assembly of Quick-Fit® ducting allows fast and easy clean-outs.
Download coffee roasting ducting flyer
- Local regulations and guidelines must be considered when installing ducting; please consult with your local Authority Having Jurisdiction.
- Users of Nordfab products are responsible for verifying that temperatures in all process ventilation components do not exceed recommendations for Nordfab products. Review our Temperature Rating Guidelines.
- Standard Nordfab duct is not designed for unexposed areas where double walled duct is required.
- Nordfab duct should not be used as exhaust ducting from the afterburner.
- Flexible ducting is not recommended for coffee roasting systems.
Contact Nordfab for assistance with ducting for your coffee roasting application or to learn more about our solution.