Leakage of oil mists and cutting fluids from ducting can cause health hazards and safety risks for workers, including respiratory ailments and increased risks of accidents. Locations where sealed ducting may be advisable can include: steel mills, rolling mills, rubber and plastic manufacturing facilities, hardening and heat treating facilities, and metalwork processes such as turning, cutting, milling, grinding, drilling.
Nordfab Ducting offers a three part system for sealing ductwork to prevent leakage: Leak-free Gaskets, Leak-free O-rings, and Epoxy Caulking. The combination of these Oil Mist System components with Nordfab’s Duct Pipe, which features solid welded seams (rather than lockform seams which allow air to leak), provides excellent leakage protection.
And the use of Nordfab’s Oil Mist system eliminates:
- Cost of weld labor to fully weld each seam
- Cost of highly skilled workers to install ductwork
- Time needed for welding seams
- Gooey caulks or sealants
One more benefit — Quick-Fit leak-free components can be taken apart and reconfigured to accommodate machinery moves and floor plan changes.
Components of the Oil Mist system:
Sealing Joints Between Ducts – It’s a Snap with Our Leak-free Gaskets
The molded Nitrile Leak-free Gasket slips easily onto one end of the duct and is connected with a standard QF clamp to form a tight and re-useable seal. Note the direction of the airflow when installing the duct.
Wipe rolled edge with clean cloth. Then apply a high tack gasket adhesive per the manufacturer’s instructions. High tack gasket adhesives can be purchased locally at industrial or automotive suppliers in either aerosol spray or brushable formulations.
Carefully place the gasket along the rolled edge of the part, being careful to avoid kinks or voids. Only one gasket is needed per joint.
Join the gasketed end of the pipe to a non-gasketed end of the next part in the ducting run using a standard QF clamp. The oil-mist gasket, in addition to the gasket inside the QF clamp, provides dual protection against leakage.
- General purpose oil resistant polymer
- Performs well with many oil, water and hydraulic fluid applications
- Good tear resistance
- Available in 4”-10” diameter. Only even sizes in 12”-24” diameter
- Should not be used with solvents such as acetone, MEK, ozone, chlorinated hydrocarbons, and nitro hydrocarbons
- Conducts electricity
The QF Leak-free O-ring for use with our Adjustable-Length Duct
The patented Nordfab Adjustable Nipple provides unlimited flexibility in the length of a duct run.
- Cut a standard piece of QF Pipe to length and insert it into the short Adjustable Nipple section. This assembly will telescope to any length. Place the standard Adjustable Nipple O-ring and then the Leak-free O-ring onto the cut (inside) piece of pipe and seat the Leak-free O-ring evenly against the rolled metal edge of the Adjustable Nipple.
Seat the Adjustable Nipple o-ring seal against the outside of the Leak-free O-ring. The order should be as follows:
- rolled edge of nipple; against
- Leak-free O-ring (smaller diameter o-ring); against
- standard Nordfab O-ring
- Finally clamp the standard QF clamp over the rolled metal edge of the Adjustable Nipple and the O-rings for a leak-free connection. (Make sure both seals fit completely under the QF Clamp and that the air flows from the cut pipe towards the Adjustable Nipple).
- Resists corrosion from weather
- Performs well with many oils and chemicals
- Can’t be damaged by flexing and twisting
- Recommended for petroleum oils and fluids,water, greases, and oils
Custom Parts – High Quality Duct with Epoxy Caulking
Nordfab Ducting’s laser welded longitudinal seams are guaranteed to be leak proof. To ensure that other welds and gores on branches, elbows, and other custom parts are leak-free, Nordfab applies an epoxy caulking along the seams and joins. These parts can be installed in seconds using the standard QF Clamp and the between-the-joint gaskets.
In addition to duct sealing, some oil mist applications can benefit from Nordfab’s Oil Mist Recycler. The Oil Mist Recycler can extend filter media life, reduce maintenance costs, and decrease issues caused by capturing and transporting large volumes of liquids to the collector.
The idea for the Oil Mist Recycler is simple – capture most of the mist near the pick-up point and return it to the machine. The Oil Mist Recycler houses a removable, industry-standard impingement baffle. This baffle acts as a system prefilter and mechanically extracts droplets and mist from the airstream.
Liquid collected in the Oil Mist Recycler drains into a sump and is returned to the machine via a drain port. The Oil Mist Recycler comes standard with two drain taps so that it cam be mounted either horizontally or vertically. The baffle and canister-shaped design cause only a minimal pressure drop across the Oil Mist Recycler.
Download our Oil Mist and Cutting Fluid Duct System flyer
*Due to variables beyond our control, Nordfab Ducting cannot guarantee a leak proof system in all installations, even when using the Epoxy caulk & “leak free” gaskets. Some of the variables that impact this include: the craftsmanship of the duct installation, the chemicals within the duct, and the expertise of the designer.